CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Same Kind of Different As Me


Some of you may be surprised by this one and some of you, I think, have been expecting this from me for a while now.My life over the last 2 years has changed significantly as I have had some very positive influences pass through and for that I am very grateful.
Some things have been on my mind and heart for sometime now. I have been praying about it and spending a lot of time thinking about it.
For some reason I’ve been led to write it down and share it.
In the recent weeks of what has become a bitter presidential race, there have been so many comments, interviews, emails, quotes about Barack Obama being a Muslim….and it just got me thinking….
.SO WHAT if he is?
He’s not and I’m not going into great length about how I know he’s not (maybe that will be my next blog).

But SO WHAT IF HE IS? I’ve got news for you folks, the country that my grandmother or mother or even myself was born into is not the same country we live in today. Do we all know that there are thousands of peaceful, normal-functioning Muslims practicing their faith in our own country all around us? It’s not the craziest idea. Now I’m not a Muslim but I’m probably not the same religion as all of you either. But I’m still alright, right??Times have changed and we must change as well. If we don’t we will fail as a nation of people. Maybe “CHANGE” isn’t the best word to use right now but we have to be OPEN to new things.
This blog of mine here is not about Barack Obama. It is not about Democrats or Republicans, Whites, Chinese, or Blacks, Muslims, Baptists or Buddhists, Homosexuals or Heterosexuals.
It is about humankind.
It is about compassion, kindness and love.
It is about giving and loving and being better.
It is about accepting people regardless of the color of their skin or the religion they practice or the sex they choose to love, but rather what is in their heart
.…And about actually taking the time to see what is in other people’s hearts….
I just finished a book that is changing the way I live my life every single day. It’s not the latest and greatest self-help book or the trendiest new thing………..
It’s called Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.

I urge you all to go out and buy this book right away. You can thank me later.For those of you in my family, just wait….this is your Christmas gift :)
This is truly a life-changing book, but it's not just about the book for me. It's the message. It's the same message that's been whispered in my ear so often lately to get out and DO MORE and be better! When you're heart and mind are open to receive, you will be amazed at what will come your way. This book came my way at a time when I was so open and searching and boy did I need to receive this message!!!

It is a true story of two very different people who’s lives remarkably intertwine and how it changes them and their surroundings. A homeless, illiterate black man and wealthy white art dealer become the best of friends with the guidance of one stubborn woman and, of course, God. And in the meantime, they do remarkable things for their community. This book is teaching me about not judging people, about trusting and having faith. Imagine if we all lived our life like that……..
I want to share one review from this book that sums it up best just so you can get it:
“The most inspirational and emotionally gripping story of faith, fortitude, and friendship I have ever read. A powerful example of the healing, restorative power of forgiveness and the transformational, life changing power of love.”- Mark Clayman, Executive Producer of the Pursuit of Happyness
We are all very, very different. I am different than my mother and father, I am different than very close friends of mine. I am different than my husband. But I still love them all so very much. I still respect them and admire them. Differences don’t make us “weird” as I have been called… differences simply make us DIFFERENT. We have got to find a way to love each other, to live with each other and to communicate with each other amidst all of our differences. We have got to find ways to expand our hearts and minds and change the way we live our lives every single day…the judgements, the predjudices, the mistrusts . Every single one of us needs to stop right now at this moment and think about how we MUST better understand the dire importance of the way we treat others. Take a minute and think about it and re-join me in a few……..
I want my children to grow up in a household and surrounding family where there are no boundaries on color, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I want them to learn to love all people and to be kind and I want to continue to learn as I grow everyday because I am finding out that I really don’t know as much as I sometimes think I do. But I’m open to learning and talking and sharing with others. So that’s why I’ve invited you to my blog.
I’d like to challenge you all…. to… each day, be open to one thing that you hear or read or see that is “different” than what you believe in. Think about it, pray about it, meditate on it or do whatever you do and see how you feel. And then pass the good stuff along…. maybe share it with someone else.
Live your life as an example.
Let “your life be your message”.
“Be the change you wish to see in this world”.
Be love.
“Life is short and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us so be quick to love and make haste to be kind.May the blessings of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit be upon you always.”
Please read every word of this. Re-read it. Read it again tomorrow…
Until next time…
One Love,
Krissi

0 comments: